Monday, November 12, 2007

Week of November 12th

Monthly Meeting
Wednesday, November 14th, 6pm, COCC Library's Oregon Room. This week's topic is mother-infant bonding during birth (and beyond)! Of course, bring any and all topics, questions, challenges or suggestions related to AP, as we will begin with an open discussion. I'm hoping to find some articles to share, I'll post them to the discussion list as soon as can. Email a leader with any questions.

Mom's Get Out

Thursday, November 15th, 5:30 pm., McMenamins. Have dinner with your movie! Meet at O'Kanes in back of McMenamins to come together before the movie starts at 6pm. The movie is the Jane Austen Book Club. "Six Californians start a club to discuss the works of Jane Austen, only to find their relationships -- both old and new -- begin to resemble 21st century versions of her novels." Looks like a lite and feel-good movie about women and relationships. Wanna read some reviews?

Playgroup
Friday, November 15th, 10 a.m., High Desert Museum. RSVP to a leader if it your first time so they know to look for you.

Looking ahead...
Have you read The Mother Knot by Jane Lazarre? It is our book group book, scheduled to be discussed Tuesday, November 27th. You can buy it cheap at Amazon, about $4 with shipping and everything. As I read it, I was (of course) very reminded of Faulkner Fox's Dispatches from a Not So Perfect Life, which we read for book group a few months ago. But this book is so beautifully written, clear images drawing sharp contrasts that capture Lazarre's inner conflict, I sometimes felt like I was reading poetry instead of a memoir. At first I wasn't sure I wanted to read a book so similar to one I had read so recently, but very soon I realized that finishing the book was not a choice. I had to complete the journey and discover what reconciliations and peace Lazarre would find. Here's an interview from the Mother's Movement Online (a cool website worth checking out for its own sake).
(Picture taken by Eurico Zimbres, uploaded from Wikimedia Commons.)

No comments: